FGM Virtual Conference
The End FGM Conference was the largest virtual gathering of Girls and Young Women, policymakers, advocates, law enforcement, community and religious leaders and other opinion-shapers on FGM in Kenya.
The successful event held on 17th-18th August 2021 organized for the Girls and Young women brought together key stakeholders to share their knowledge and find solutions to the challenges to ending female genital mutilation in Nairobi.
The 2021 theme, ‘Girls not Brides’ ought to strengthen the collaboration among key stakeholders to adequately leverage resources, enhance program impact and expand global and national advocacy campaign towards ending Female Genital Mutilation (FGM/C).
The Objectives of the conference was;
- To increase understanding of the common drivers and outcomes of child marriage in Kenya.
- To identify the challenges and opportunities to address child marriage and FGM in tandem, and to share and document successful approaches.
- To promote peer-to-peer learning between Girls Not Brides members on what is working.
- To develop a messaging framework/advocacy strategy to hold the government of Kenya to account in 2022 and beyond on its commitments to end FGM in Kenya by 2022. The Issues to be covered by the workshop include:
- Identification and discussion on effective integrated programming approaches and lessons learnt. The expected outputs
Under the regional instruments like Maputo Protocol, African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child and United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) Kenya is a signatory. For instance, under the Maputo Protocol, Article 2, 3 and 5 provide for the elimination of discrimination against girls and women, the right to dignity and the elimination of harmful practices respectively, while Article 23 (1) and Article 25 of the African Youth Charter requires state parties to enact and enforce laws that protect girls and women from all forms of violence, genital mutilation and elimination of harmful social and cultural practices respective